Thursday 2 September 2010

Review: Swimming Without A Net by MaryJanice Davidson

My Rating: VG, B, H

Published: 2008
Publisher: Piatkus

Author's Website: maryjanicedavidson.net

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com


Half human and half reluctant mermaid, Fredrika Bimm finds herself investigating her watery roots in the latest instalment of her highly original and very funny romantic adventures.

After spending her entire life without seeing another mermaid or merman, there are suddenly undersea folk all over the place when Fred visits the Black Sea. But Fred is still torn between her reluctant attraction to Artur, arrogant high prince of the mer-people, and wealthy human Thomas. Will the trip finally help her make up her mind, and separate the men from the...erm fish?


Swimming Without A Net is the second novel in the Fred the Mermaid series by MaryJanice Davidson.

Fred is called upon to attend a meeting of the mer-people but what she isn’t told is why she has been invited and why no one has bothered to talk to her since she got there. Finally another mermaid, lets her in on the secret and this just causes Fred to be furious. In the end its Fred’s life experiences and advice that help the mer-people come to a decision about an on-going debate that has been hanging around for decades.

I absolutely loved this book. It’s such an easy and short read that you can read it in a day. Fred has me in stitches with her antics and her best friend Jonas is so witty. The way he deals with Fred is amusing. We get to see Artur and Thomas in this book again and they are still fighting for Fred’s affections. We finally see Fred leaning to one side over the other. But I wouldn’t let that fool me into thinking that’s who she will end up being with in the end.

I don’t know about you but I love anything written by MaryJanice Davidson. Her writing style is so comical that she has me laughing at every turn of the page. Fred’s wit and rudeness is just hilarious to read about and can’t wait to read the next instalment, Fish Out of Water. I think it’s definitely worth anyone’s time to sit down and read MaryJanice’s books. They will not disappoint.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: