Thursday 23 September 2010

Review: Pictures of Lily by Paige Toon

My Rating: E, R, B

Published: 2010
Publisher: Simon and Schuster

Author's Website: paigetoon.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Will you marry me?’

I think of you, then. I think of you every day. But usually in the quietest part of the morning, or the darkest part of the night. Not when my boyfriend of two years has just proposed. I look up at Richard with his hopeful eyes.
‘Lily?’ he prompts.
It’s been ten years, but it feels like only yesterday that you left. How can I say yes to Richard with all my heart when most of it has always belonged to you? I take a deep breath and will myself to speak...

Ten years ago when Lily was just sixteen, she fell in love with someone she really shouldn’t have fallen in love with. Now, living in Sydney and engaged to another man, she can’t forget the one that go away. Then her past comes back to haunt her, and she has to make a decision that will break her heart – and the heart of at least one of the men who love her.


Pictures of Lily is an exceptional summer read by Paige Toon. This story reminds you that you can never forget your first true love, they are always with you.

Lily is uprooted from England by her mother so that she can go live with her new lover in Australia. Lily isn’t happy about it at all and can’t wait to move back to England, well that is until she meets Ben. Ben works at the local national park with Lily’s mother’s new beau. Lily gets a summer job at the park where she helps Ben out with the koala bears. Over time they grow closer together but Ben moves away before anything serious happens. Lily is heartbroken but remains in Australia. Ten years later, just when Lily’s life is on the up and her boyfriend Richard has proposed to her she finds Ben again.

I absolutely loved reading this book. It was a nice balance of love and heart break. I felt as if I felt everything that Lily felt and to me this is the sign of an brilliant read. Lily practically shunts everything that reminds her of Ben in her new life as she doesn’t want to be reminded of the one that got away. I was over the moon when Ben made a re-appearance.

My favourite part of the book was when Ben and Lily were taken care of the orphaned koala bear. It was so touching as I am a big animal lover and it was a great way for Lily and Ben to bond over something. Ben always pushed Lily to be all that she can be and follow her passion but in the end Lily turns her back on it as it hurts too much. The old Lily slowly begins to emerge once Ben is back on the scene.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was a nice summer read and I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good love story.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, my sister loaned it to me. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

I've never heard of this, but I'm a sucker for a good love story! Great review :)