Friday 3 September 2010

Review: Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz

My Rating: O, P, B

Published: 2006
Publisher: Hyperion

Author's WEbsite: melissa-delacruz.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Schuyler Van Alen has never fit in at Duchesne, her prestigious New York City private school. She prefers baggy, vintage clothes to the Prada and pearls worn by her classmates. But when she turns fifteen, Schuyler’s life changes dramatically. The death of a popular schoolmate haunts her in unexpected ways. And strangest of all, Jack Force, the most popular boy in school, is showing sudden interest in her.

Once an outcast, Schuyler is thrust into Manhattan’s most exclusive social circle. Its members are the powerful, the wealthy, and – as Schuyler soon discovers – the unhuman. They are Blue Bloods, an ancient group of vampires, and for centuries they’ve been invincible. Now something is preying on this elite group, and Schuyler wants to find out the truth. But is she the most vulnerable of them all?


I was so excited about reading this book as I heard so many good things about it, but I wasn’t too overally impressed after reading. It kept my attention but I thought some of the things that went on in the book were a bit out there. I don’t want to give too much away and tell you what they are, but there isn’t many. Other than the small things that I didn’t like, there were tons of things that I did like.

I loved the intricate plot line regarding the death of these young and prestigious children that attend Duchesne. Their deaths are unexplained and the others in the school feel that they could be next if others are as young as they are, are dying (being murdered) all around them. This is where Schuyler and her friend Oliver’s investigative skills come in handy. They do not know who they killer is but they know what it is.

Along the way, Schuyler learns new and scary things about her life and what is in store for her future and that Oliver is not exactly as he seems. A few mysteries unravel during the course of this book and it does leave you with a cliffhanger, albeit not a terrible one. The cliffhanger along makes me want to read the next bookl just to find out what Schuyler uncovers.

Overall, I enjoyed the book but it didn’t exactly grab my attention. I am unsure whether I will read the second book or not but don’t let my opinion discourage you from trying the book/series. It could be the right kind of book/series for you, but it wasn’t entirely my cup of tea.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: