Tuesday 14 September 2010

Review: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 2008
Publisher: Walker Books

Author:s Website: cassandraclare.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

With her mother in a coma and her father hellbent on destroying the world, Clary Fray is dragged deeper into the New York City’s terrifying underworld of werewolves, demons and the mysterious Shadowhunters. Discovering the truth about her past was only the beginning. Now the fate of the world rests on Clary’s shoulders, but can she master he new-found powers and control her feelings for a boy who can never be hers?

City of Ashes is the second book in the Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare. I absolutely loved this book and I am falling in love with the series.

Clary is currently without the guidance of her mother due to her being in a coma. She can only turn to those who introduced her to the Shadowhunter world. They are now her family. Luke has always been a father figure and loved Clary like his own, he would do anything for her just like her brother, Jace. They have just recently discovered that they have a sibling in one another but it came at an inopportune time and has caused a lot of mixed feelings between Clary and Jace as they were on the verge of falling in love. Now they must put their feelings to one side and fight a tougher evil, their father.

I am really enjoying this series by Cassandra Clare and I am so happy with how the story is going. I knew from the previous book that the two main characters, Clary and Jace, would have some kind of hidden powers and I was proved right. The faeiries never lie.

I feel so bad for Clary and Jace because just when everything was starting to feel so right between them, they were torn apart by the knowledge that they are siblings. Instead of being disgusted by themselves, they have tried to ignore their feelings and Clary has tried to act normal and sister like but finds it very difficult. No matter how hard it is for her, she goes out of her way not to admit her feelings to Jace. Jace on the other hand is quite brass when it comes to his feelings for her, he knows she is his sister but at the same time he can’t stop feeling what he feels for her. I know they aren’t meant to be together because they are brother and sister but at the same time I am rooting for them because when I read City of Bones I could feel their love for one another and I was on their side then and for some reason I just can’t let it go either and hope it all works out and that there’s some mysterious and miraculous unveiling that it turns out they can be together because they aren’t related or something. There was something said in the book that makes me think it is possible for them to be together but at the same time I am dubious it will pan out that way. I will just have to wait and find out.

As for Simon and the rest of the minor characters. This book isn’t too great for them either. Simon meets evil head on and comes out the other side fighting but who’s side is he now on? Isabelle introduces us to the world of the faeries and what an exciting place it is. Alec has a secret that he is not yet willing to share with the rest of the characters and this hurts someone close to him although they don’t show it.

My favourite part of the book was when Clary used her newly found powers and blew something up. That was an amazing scene, so much was going on and you didn’t know what was going to happen next. That’s exactly how I feel about this series. There was a lot more depth to the characters in this book and watching them grow and make a lot of hard decisions was great. I can’t wait to read the rest of their journey in City of Glass. I would highly recommend this series to everyone of all ages.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have wrote is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: