Thursday 14 October 2010

Review: The Trouble With Spells by Lacey Weatherford

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 2009
Publisher: Publish America

Author's Website: ofwitchesandwarlocks.com

Purchase @ susankmann.co.uk - UK Distributor Amazon.com

Portia Mullins had always lived the life of a normal teenager, up until her sixteenth birthday. She is then informed by her grandma that she is actually a witch who is a descendant from a long line of witches and warlocks. After overcoming her disbelief she finds that being a member of the coven comes with the one great perk in the form of the school’s handsome bad boy, Vance Mangum. Vance and Portia have an immediate connection as a budding romance begins, only to be threatened by turbulent skies on the horizon as Vance’s checkered past rears its ugly head to haunt them. Portia is forced to use her untried powers in defense of everything she loves in a desperate attempt to hold on to the one thing that really matters in her life.

The Trouble With Spells is Lacey Weatherford’s debut novel and first in the Of Witches and Warlocks series.

Where to start? I loved this book. I was hooked on this book as soon as I started reading. Portia, the lead female, sucked me right in with the description of her life, her little home town and her quirky grandma. The writing style is different from what I normally read. By that I mean the way characters talk and act. The majority of the responses from Portia and Vance I thought were unbelievable at first but once I thought about it, I realised that I was just thinking about how I would react or how other characters have reacted in other books I have read. Once I realised this, I pulled my mind away from that way of thinking and just let the characters tell the story. Best thing I could have ever done as it made enjoying the story ten times better.

I absolutely loved the way that Vance and Portia interact with one another. In some ways they are the epitome of teenager romance but then in other ways they are like an old married couple with experience beyond their years. They are unwilling to live without the other and I think a love that strong is unimpeachable and sweet. I originally thought everything was happening very fast between for our main characters but then once I thought about it some more it made sense. All teenagers go through these stages in life; falling head over heels in love, pushing everything aside to be with that person, doing things you wouldn’t normally do for love and this is exactly how it is for Portia Vance.

As always there is impending doom on the horizon for our loved up couple. The coven, Portia and Vance work tirelessly trying to avoid the danger but unfortunately it’s not enough. Vance and Portia are divided and it looks as if it could be a permanent. There was a devastating scene that I didn’t see coming and I literally screamed in my head. It was very out of the blue but it fit the story perfectly.

Overall, The Trouble With Spells is an absolutely great read. It captures the essence of teenage innocence with some of the supernatural mixed in. I definitely recommend it to anyone that has a thing for guys with gorgeous blue eyes, washboard abs and rides a motorcycle.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book for review by the author. I have not been paid to review this book and everything i have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

Ooh, great review! Adding this to my TBR. =D