Thursday 7 October 2010

Review: Kitty takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

My Rating: VG, P, B

Published: 2008
Publisher: Gollancz

Author's Website: carrievaughn.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

After being caught turning wolf on national television, Kitty retreats to a mountain cabin to recover, and to write her memoirs. But this is Kitty, so trouble is never far behind. Instead of Walden Pond, she gets Evil Dead.

It stats when someone leaves grotesque animal sacrifices on her front porch intended to curse her, then werewolf hunter Cormac shows up with an injured Ben O’Farrell, Kitty’s lawyer, slung over his cabin – can the situation get more tense? They’ll soon find out. When a wolf-like creature with glowing red eyes starts sniffing about the cabin, Kitty wonders if any of them will get out of the woods alive...


Kitty takes a Holiday is the third book in the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn. This book was full of action and had a plot twist that I didn’t see coming.

Kitty has decided to take a holiday from the radio show ‘The Midnight Hour’ and from being the official spokesperson for the supernatural. She has holed herself in a nice cabin in the woods which suits her wolf’s needs and her human need for personal space from the outside world. But things don’t remain tranquil for very long. Soon someone starts targeting Kitty by leaving dead animals on her doorstep and curses her.

I was quite impressed with Kitty’s character in this book as she has to start caring for someone who has been infected by lyncanthropy. She isn’t a lone wolf anymore, she now has a pack member to look after. I certainly didn’t expect the story to end how it did but I am not itching to read the next book in the series to find out how Kitty sorts it all out. Lawyer, Ben, and supernatural assassins’, Cormac, history becomes known after they spend some time with Kitty.

I think the story was very well written and the information flowed relatively smoothly. The action scenes were full on and I sometimes wondered if the characters and our heroine would come out alive.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and have enjoyed the series so far. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series and find out what Kitty gets up to next.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book, everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Dazzling Mage said...

I'm really curious about this series now. It's good to see great characters develop throughout a series. Great review. =)