Tuesday 26 October 2010

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 2009
Publisher: Walker Books

Author's Website: cassandraclare.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Amid the chaos of war, the Shadowhunters must decide to fight with the vampires, werewolves and other Downworlders – or against them. Meanwhile, Jace and Clary have their own decision to make: should they pursue the love they know is forbidden?

City of Glass is the third instalment in The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. This is by far most my favourite book from the series so far. There’s clarity, love, action and surprising secrets are unveiled.

Throughout City of Glass we see Jace and Clary try to fight their taboo love but neither can accept that the other is there sibling. They can’t see how their love for one another can be wrong. Clary and Jace discover some family secrets when they return to Idris but what they find out does not bode well with Jace and he then becomes a very self-destructing character. Clary is getting used to her new found powers and in the end it is what helps save them.

There was a sense of foreboding throughout the book and I kept hoping that everything would be explained and that everything would work out the way I envisioned it in my head. It nearly all worked out how I thought it would however there were a lot of twists and turns in the plot. Some of them blew my mind and made me think I was stupid for missing the set up. I love it when a book does this, makes you think it’s going one way and totally does a u-turn. It keeps you guessing and I appreciate a book that makes my mind think. Even if I do get it wrong.

I had so many favourite moments in this book. I can’t possibly list them all and if I did I would end up telling you how everything happened and I don’t want to spoil the book for you. What I will tell you is that I loved all the new characters that were introduced in this book. I loved some and I hated some. There was a part in the book where I was especially sad and it nearly made me cry. I think it’s amazing how words can stir up so many emotions within the reader and this is exactly what Cassandra Clare achieved with me.

Overall, I have loved this series so far. All the loose ends, I think, were tied up nicely except one, but I hope this is revisited in City of Fallen Angels. I would highly recommend this series to anyone out there that likes stories that cover the majority of the supernatural world, this series has everything; faeries, demons, warlocks, angels, vampires, werewolves.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

YAY! I just adore this series. I felt the same way as you, there were a lot of things I can't believe I missed and things I thought for sure I had right and then WHAM, she put in me in my place and showed me how wrong I was:) I'm really looking forward to City of Fallen Angels since things were tied up pretty nicely, I'll be interested to see where it's going to go now. Fantastic review:)