Thursday 28 October 2010

Review: Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 2010
Publisher: Orbit

Author's Website: patriciabriggs.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Being a mechanic is hard work. Mercy Thompson, for instance, just spend the last couple of months trying to evade the murderous queen of the local vampire seethe. And now the leader of the werewolf pack, who’s maybe-more-than-just-a-friend, has asked her for her help. A book of fae secrets has come to light and they’re all about to find out how implacable – and dangerous – the fae can be.

Okay, so maybe her trouble have nothing to do with the job. But she sure could use a holiday...


Silver Borne is the fifth instalment in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. This book is suspenseful, sexually torqued to the max and full of mystery.

Mercy is still trying to deal with her issues after the ‘Tim incident’ and is slowly coming round to being able to be with Adam without flinching. Dealing with the pack is another can of worms altogether. Now that she has been properly inducted into the pack as the Alpha leader’s, Adam Hauptman, mate she can feel the pack at anytime, anywhere and vice versa. This would be a great thing if Mercy was able to control the magic within her but she can’t, which makes her a target and easy prey for those in the pack that don’t like having a coyote in their midst. Another problem arises when Tad, Zee’s son, calls Mercy and asks her to look in on a friend who seems to have gone missing and turns into a man-hunt. On top of all that, Mercy has a suicidal werewolf to deal with.

Silver Borne pulled me in from the minute I opened the first page, as did the other books in the series. I feel as if I can relate to Mercy even though I am nothing like her. She has the same love life problems as most women her age except she has to throw the supernatural on top of it, she’s a coyote and her love interest is the alpha male of the local pack. A pack which detests Mercy, which to me feels like being back at school. Everyone has their own clique and if you don’t fit the criteria you are an outcast. This has never stopped Mercy though – she ploughs on and takes it all on the chin and comes out the other side fighting. Sometimes I just wish that Mercy could be given a break from her life as everything seems to come at her all at once, she never seems to get a break from the onslaught. Hopefully the next book might have a bit of rest and relaxation in Mercy’s future.

Overall, I absolutely love this book and have thoroughly enjoyed the series. I am sad that we never saw any interaction with the vampires in this book but I am sure there is more to see from them in future books and I can’t wait to see how it will involve Mercy and/or the werewolf pack.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

3 comments:

Steph from fangswandsandfairydust.com said...

What a cool cover so very different from the US cover!I can't wait until he next which has been pushed back to March. Bummer.Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
twitter: @fangswandsfairy

Anonymous said...

this was my favorite book out of the series

Jenny said...

I love this series and Mercy. I agree with you completely, even though I'm nothing like her, I still relate to her on a variety of levels. And Adam. How I love them together! Can't wait for River Marked, I'm sure no rest is in Mercy's future in that one either:)