Wednesday 26 May 2010

Review: The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton

My Rating: G, P, X

Published: September 1994
Publisher: Marvel

Author's Website: laurellkhamilton.org
Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

After a few centuries, the only death ‘big enough’ is a human sacrifice. I know because I’m an animator. My name is Anita Blake.

Working for Animators, Inc. is just a job – like selling insurance. But all the money in the world wasn’t enough for me to take on the particular job Harold Gaynor was offering.

Somebody else did, though – a rogue animator. Now he’s not just raising the dead...he’s raising Hell. An it’s up to me to stop it.


The Laughing Corpse is the second book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton.

A rogue zombie is going around killing people as its’ animator has lost control over it. Someone tries to hire Anita to raise a very old corpse but she won’t do it as this requires a human sacrifice, even with their persuasive techniques she will not do it. Jean Claude is trying to rein Anita in as his human servant but Anita is having none of it – she submits to no one.

I can’t say I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was kind of hard to get a handle on the plot to begin with so I think this threw me off big time. I think I finally started to get into the book about three quarters of the way through. Once I got into it, I enjoyed the plotline and the characters. My favourite bit is the interaction between Anita and a copy at a murder scene.

I’m scared for Anita and her future as what happens in this story changes her and I don’t think this change is going to be good for her. She has gone one step too far.

I was hoping Jean Claude would make an appearance again. I grew to like him in the first book. Hopefully Anita and Jean Claude get together at some point – would make the whole Master Vampire and human servant link rather interesting. Seeing as Anita is blatantly not submissive.

Where was Edward in this book? I was hoping he would turn up and help Anita kill the zombie, I see him as a sort of sidekick. He has more of a violent streak than Anita though.

Overall, the story was a slow start for me and eventually I got into it but I would only recommend this to the right reader. If you want to read a more in depth novel in regard to plots and characters then this book series is for you.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book. I borrowed it from the library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: