Friday 14 May 2010

Review: Dark Prince - Christine Feehan

My Rating: G, R, B

Published: April 2005
Publisher: Leisure Books

Author's Website: christinefeehan.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Raven Whitney is a psychic who has used her gift to help the police track down a serial killer. Now she is determined to escape the glare of recent publicity for the peace of the Carpathian Mountains. Despite her own emotional fatigue, Raven finds herself connecting psychically to another wounded individual somewhere close by. Prince Mikhail s the leader of his people but, as his ancient Carpathian race nears extinction, he is close to giving in to loneliness and despair. Then a female voice enters his mind and tries to console him. Intrigued, Mikhail becomes obsessed with finding his unusual human female. From the moment their minds touch, Raven and Mikhail form a connection. But there are those who incorrectly view all Carpathians as vampires, and are determined to give their extinction a helping hand...

Dark Prince is a tale of an advanced race of people that are neither human nor vampire. They are one step closer to being a vampire than the normal human and only make this transition if they allow the darkness to consume them. Their sole purpose, it would seem, is to find their life mate


The Carpathians are a dying race. Their women aren’t able to give birth to girls and most of their children die within the first year of infancy. This situation is weighing heavily on their Prince Mikhail’s shoulders. He is in despair and edging closer to the darkness within him until a female human, Raven, makes a psychic connection with him to try and help ease his depression.

I thought this story was very inventive and creative and I enjoyed the story but I didn’t like all of it. Mikhail infuriated me with his commanding ways and his obsession with Raven. I understand they are true life mates etc etc etc, but can you imagine never having a moment to yourself to do the things that you enjoy but instead always having to be around the same person for all eternity. On top of that you aren’t able to leave them or else you will both die. I think I would scream blue murder. Don’t get me wrong, I love my other half and can’t imagine life without him, but I need my own personal time too.

I get it if they both fell in love and got to know one another before all that happened, but instead Mikhail performed an everlasting act upon the both of them without even consulting Raven first. If I was Raven I would have went nuts and wouldn’t have given into him. But saying that, love at first sight is said to be a rather powerful thing.

It was rather irksome that Raven gave into Mikhail’s every sexual advance but at the same time I can understand her need to be with him to make everything seem right. How their love for one another came about is a tad unbelievable to me but it works in for the story.

I wasn’t sure where the story was heading from the first couple of chapters as it all seemed to be about Raven and Mikhail. I thought to myself at this point – this can’t be all that happens. I kept going on with reading it and found half way through the book there was some action scenes but thought oh well that’s over, what’s on the agenda now, what else can happen? Then the bad guy shows up finally and it doesn’t all work out great for him but I thought it all worked out a bit too easy for Mikhail. I thought Andre would have had a few more tricks up his sleeve.
All in all, I was rather annoyed most of the way through because of Raven giving into everything so easily and not really questioning who or what Mikhail was and putting her trust so easily into someone before he laid everything out on the table for her. The ending was lacking slightly for me, I think I expected too much. The sexual scenes were tastefully done and leaves a little bit to the imagination. I do think there was a rather lot of sex scenes, it seemed like every time you turned a page they were at it. I most likely will continue with the next book to see where the series leads me.

Disclaimer: I have not bought this book or been given it free of charge and I am not receiving any money to review this book. I borrowed this book from the local library and everything I have said is based on my honest opinion.

No comments: