Sunday 8 August 2010

Review: Sleeping With The Fishes by MaryJanice Davidson

My Rating: E, B, H

Published: 2006
Publisher: Piatkus

Author's Website: maryjanicedavidson.net

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Fredericka Bimm – Fred – is a mermaid. But she is not the stuff of legends. A marine biologist, she knows what’s in the water so chooses not to expose herself to those toxins. She’s allergic to shellfish. The sea creatures she can communicate with won’t do her bidding. And she doesn’t have long blonde hair or a perfect body. And she’s definitely not perky!

Fred’s life is mostly spent trying to conceal her origins – and lately she’s been trying to figure out just why there are weird levels of pollutants in the local seawater. Then two strangers come into her life. Her new colleague is a sexy – if over-curious – hunk with a mermaid fixation. The other claims he is Artur, the high prince of the black seas – and Fred’s rightful ruler


Sleeping With The Fishes is the first book in the ‘Fred the Mermaid’ series by MaryJanice Davidson. This book had me giggling non-stop.

Fred is a force to be reckoned with, by that I mean she doesn’t do what other people tell her to do, she’s very unique and holds her own. She reminds me of Betsy from MaryJanice Davidson’s ‘Queen Betsy’ series. They have similar attitudes in that they are always right and everyone around them is wrong and they are both outstandingly funny with their dry wit humour. That’s as close as the comparison gets. Fred doesn’t do dating but she soon finds herself two suitors. Oh how will she choose?

My favourite part of the book was when Fred turns into a mermaid for the first time in the book. I loved The Little Mermaid growing up so it was great to read about the transformation rather than viewing it as a cartoon on the television. I also love the colour of her hair – it sounds funky.

My favourite part of the book has to be when Fred is alone with either of her suitors in a one on one situation. I think it’s hilarious how she reacts around men that find her attractive and aren’t put off by her mannerisms or crass language. Another favourite scene of mine was at the beginning with Fred and her parents. I think that was the most funniest thing I have read about in a long time. I would never personally want it to happen to me as I think I would die from embarrassment but it was so funny reading about it happening to Fred.

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoyed the ‘Queen Betsy’ series (which I thought was fantastic). There is so much humour in these books that it astounds me, I am literally giggling every time I turn the page. MaryJanice Davidson you are a comedian god. The books aren’t that long either so you can enjoy at least one a day or more if you wanted to.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: