Wednesday 25 August 2010

Review: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 2007
Publisher: Walker Books

Author's Website: cassandraclare.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

It’s after dark in New York City, and Clary Fray is seeing things. The best looking guy in the nightclub just stabbed a boy to death – but the victim has vanished into thin air. Her mother has disappeared, and a hideous monster is lurking in her apartment. With her life spiralling into darkness, Clary realizes that she has stumbles into an invisible war between ancient demonic forces and secretive Shadowhunters – a war in which she has a fateful role to play...

City of Bones is the first book in The Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare. If you like daring plot twists, action, adventure and the supernatural. Then this is the book for you.

I was so happy that I picked up this book as I wasn’t entirely sure about reading this book as there was so much hype surrounding it but I can safely say that City of Bones did not disappoint.

The main character Clary lives with her mum in New York and has a relatively normal life as any teenager can have. It’s the summer holidays so Clary and Simon, her best friend, are at the local club when Clary is strangely drawn to some other teenagers and follows them. What she finds; doesn’t shock her even though it should and this is only the beginning and it doesn’t get much better. She finds herself knee deep in her own world but her eyes are finally opened. Clary now knows that the things that go bump in the night are real.

I really liked this book for several reasons. The characters are relatable even though I am not a teenager. The setting is realistic with a hint of fantasy thrown into the mix. Action is sufficient throughout the story but it’s not too gory or explicit. There’s a bit of a love triangle going on between Clary and two others and the triangle gets even messier as we learn more about Clary and secret, unknown past that even she doesn’t know about.

There is a major plot twist near the end of the book, even though I didn’t expect this when I set out reading this book, it was sort of predictable for me. I think this is because I watch way too much soaps and read a lot of different books. Eventually I was going to see a similar plot line in a book but it doesn’t reduce the quality of the storyline, it’s still fantastic. I can’t wait to see how Clary overcomes this obstacle in the next book. I think it will be quite hard for her to deal with.

The other main characters in this story are Jace, Alec and Isabelle. Jace, Alec and Isabelle grew up together and are quite close, like family even though Alec and Isabelle are the only ones that are blood related. They live with Hodge, who is their guardian and teacher. Clary soon learns that she needs to depend and trust these individuals as they may just save her life and may be the only link she has into finding her mum.

Overall, I loved this book and I can’t wait to read City of Ashes, which is the next book in the series. I am curious to find out why Clary has such a natural talent for something she hasn’t been trained for. Is it a fluke or is it truly natural talent? I can’t wait to find out what’s in store for these characters. I’m sure it will be a bumpy ride.


Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I am not paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Lyndsey OHalloran said...

I put off this series for a long time and really wish I hadn't! I'm excited about Clockwork Angel too after reading the first 2 of these. Fab review hun x