Thursday 24 June 2010

Review: Witch Blood by Anya Bast

My Rating: VG, B, X

Published: 2008
Publisher: Berkley Sensation

Author's Website: anyabast.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

A water witch, Isabelle Novak has always led a chaotic, nomadic existence. But her life spins out of control when her sister – her only friend and emotional anchor – is killed by a demon. Driven by grief and a desire for revenge, she turns her back on the Coven and its sacred rede: Harm ye none…

When Isabelle first encounters Thomas Monahan, she’s running on pure rage and sorrow, channelling her pain into power – and trying to freeze the life out of the warlock she holds responsible for her sister’s death. Together she and Thomas form an uneasy alliance to hunt and destroy a demon of tremendous power. As head of the Coven, earth witch Thomas must thwart Isabelle’s dark impulses, but his very presence stirs deeper desires she never knew she had…


Witch Blood is the second instalment in the Elemental Witches series by Anya Bast. If you like action, love scenes and demons then this is the book for you. It’s jam packed with them all.

Isabelle Novak is a very powerful water witch and is tracking a demon, but not just any demon. This demon killed her sister Angela. Isabelle is out for revenge. In her quest to find the demon, she has an encounter with the Coven and is taken into their protection and gets more than she bargained for in the shape of Thomas Monahan, leader of the Coven.

I was quite simply enthralled with this book. I loved Isabelle’s strong, independent character and her carefree travelling lifestyle. It seems to suit her to a tee until she meets Thomas Monahan that is. That man would definitely make you want to stay in one place. Thomas is caring, loving, very powerful and dominant. This is everything that Isabelle needs from man, especially the dominance. Thomas is the perfect match for her. But will she run away or will she stay?

It’s really hard to pick a favourite scene or chapter of the book as I enjoyed it all. But if I had to pick one moment, I think it would have to be during a moment between Thomas and Isabelle when she is learning more about his earth magick and how and where he stores it. I thought that was a really informative and intimate at the same time.

Overall, this book was a really enjoyable read and I am certainly going to continue with the series. I loved every minute that I read of the book and couldn’t put it down at times. The ending chapters really shocked me as I didn’t expect what happened and I love it when that happens. Witch Blood is definitely a page turner.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from the local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

2 comments:

Tara SG (25 Hour Books) said...

I've never head of this series, but it looks like something I would love! Thanks for the great review!

AngelGoneMad said...

Hi Tara,

If you are interested in the Elemental Witches series then take a look at my review for the first book in the series, Witch Blood. I think it was my very first blog entry.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice weekend :)