Tuesday 8 June 2010

Review: Circus of the Damned by Laurell K. Hamilton

My Rating: E, P, R

Published: First published in1995
Publisher: Orbit

Author's Website: laurellkhamilton.org

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

I'm Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night. I've dined with shapeshifters, danced with werewolves, and been wooed - but not won - by Jean-Claude, the Vampire Master of the City.

And now a darkly dangerous vampire names Alejandro has hti town. He wants me for his human servant. A war of the undead has begun. Over me...


DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THE PREVIOUS BOOK AS IT MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR YOU

Circus of the Damned is the third instalment in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. This book focuses more on the vampires and shape shifters than the animator side of things. We are introduced to a new creature and personally I am thankful I wasn’t Anita. Coming face to face with this creature, I don’t think my skin would stop crawling.

Well I was much happier with this book than the last one in the series, The Laughing Corpse. Anita is in amongst all the action once again and she uncovers a few new things about a certain master vampire and her report friend, Irving Griswold.

There was so much going on in this book that I don’t want to say too much as I don’t want to spoil it for you out there that have not read the book/series yet. What I will say is that loved the twist in the story about the villains and Edward is back.

I think Edward is a rather interesting character. He is a dark and dangerous human being that shows no emotion when he is killing and isn’t close to anyone, except Anita. Now why is that? I think it’s because they are sort of in the same line of business, killing vampires and he has respect for her. They both have their own rules that they live by and they don’t break them for anything. This is real honour and a really good characteristic to have. You know you can always count on them to what they always do as they are sticking to their rules. Anita is sometimes confused as to where she stands with Edward as she doesn’t want to call him a friend as she knows he would kill her if he had to but at the same time what else do you call someone else that you trust with your life in violent situations? There’s no real attraction between the two so I don’t think anything romantic will happen in the series. To me they are friends, but I suppose we will just all have to wait and find out what exactly they are to one another later on in the series. I think they are friends and that’s it.

Now as for Jean Claude, what do I think of him? I think he is a very mysterious old man. He wants Anita, but I don’t think it’s because she is the Executioner although I think that adds to the allure of her. I think he sees someone he could spend the rest of eternity with but he is not above trying to coerce her into being his servant as we see in this book but at the same time he wants her to come to him willingly. But as we have seen previously Anita is totally against being his human servant and keeps threatening his life. They are both attracted to one another so I think something might happen in a later book but I can’t be sure as I am not entirely sure that Anita can get over the fact the he is indeed a dead man and a monster. But only time will tell I suppose.

And last but not least, Anita’s new love interest. Richard. From his description he is really hot and well built. He works for Jean Claude, who has warned him away from Anita, but this doesn’t stop him asking her out on a date. That’s all I will say on that matter otherwise I will spoil the story for you.

Overall, I was enjoyed this book thoroughly. The twists and turns in the plot were superb and I loved the new creature that we were introduced to in this book. I hope we keep meeting more mythical creatures in this series.

Disclaimer: I did not purchase this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: