Wednesday 2 June 2010

Review: Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

My Rating: E, P X

Published: 2008
Publisher: Orbit

Author's Website: patriciabriggs.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

It wasn’t hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae community calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is way and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life…


Iron Kissed is the third novel in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mercy is one tough nut and it takes a lot to get her down but we see a different side to her in this story. This book is full of action and torment for Mercy, as she tries her hand at detective work and her heart is aching with a question she doesn’t know the answer to.

Mercy has a tough time in this book as she faces creatures she has never come across in her walker life. She comes face to face with some fierce fae and they don’t take to her very well. All those fairytales won’t help you out much against these fae.

This series is one of my favourites. It’s more focused on the plot than romance but we see the romance card is being used quite a few times in this book. To me there are three love rivals but we don’t see the third at all in this book, makes me wonder where he has gone and if he will be back. The other two, Adam and Samuel, are at the fore front of Mercy’s thoughts. She doesn’t know who to choose though and continues to debates this throughout the book.

I think my favourite part of this book was at the very end after everything was over and done with (I don’t want to give out details in case you haven’t read the book/series yet) and Mercy was with a certain someone. It ends on a suggestive note that leaves you wondering what happens next.

I really didn’t like reading the last few chapters. Something happens to Mercy and I found it hard to read because trying to imagine what Mercy had gone through was too horrific to even think about. I know it’s most likely essential to the plot line but I can’t see how yet, that will probably all pan out in the rest of the series. Or was it to show that Mercy can be weakened and that she isn’t the super duper heroine we all think she is?

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I have liked the series as a whole so far. I would recommend this book/series for anyone that is a young adult upwards. I wonder what Mercy is going to get up to next in Bone Crossed will have to wait and see.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from the library. I am not paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

2 comments:

Blueicegal ♥ said...

I like her name seems unique great honest review, thanks for stopping over, keep up the awesome work! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVED this book. I adore Adam and Bran. Great review :)

Just hopping by to say hello. Hope you have a great weekend and have time to stop by my blog too!

Yesenia, Silly Little Game