Friday 1 April 2011

Review: Dreamwalk by Sarah MacManus

My Rating: E, B, R

Published: 2011
Publisher: Young Rebel Publications

Author's Website: sarahmacmanus.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com YoungRebelPublications

After the death of her mother, eighteen year old Chloe Hawthorn is haunted by terrifying nighttime hallucinations. Determined to take control of her dreams, she uses them to find Shane Anderson, a charming and troubled musician whose online videos have been holding her in thrall. She finds him in the Dreamtime, sweating out heroin detox in a run-down rehab center.

Chloe sets out to find Shane in the waking world and discovers her dreams have been taking her into the past. Horrified, Chloe realizes Shane doesn't survive his addictions. In order to save him, Chloe must master her Australian mother's legacy — the secret of walking the Dreaming through time. But what price will Chloe pay for this Dreamwalk and will she save Shane only to lose him forever?


Dreamwalk is a sensational adult debut by Sarah MacManus. This book had me on tenterhooks all the way through and I absolutely loved it.

Chloe Hawthorn is still reeling from her mother’s death when her father moves her to a new city, away from everything that she has even known. To top it all off she has the most awful nightmares. Trish, Chloe’s best friend from St Louis, sends her a clip of a boy playing a guitar. Chloe becomes obsessed with this boy, Shane, and has very vivid dreams about him. But are they really dreams? You need to read the book to find out.

I had so many favourite moments in this book. Firstly, I loved the characters; they are so life like and easy to relate to. Their life is like so many other people’s out there. I think that’s why I enjoyed it so much, it’s very different from what I have been reading lately because this could be anyone’s lives that MacManus is describing and this is what, I think, makes the book a bitter sweet brilliance. One of the more scary moments in the book is actually one of my own personal fears but it blends well with the story and is essential to aid Chloe in her journey. I don’t want to say what it is as it may ruin some of the story for you but I can tell you that I wouldn’t wish it on my own worst enemy.

I could go on about this book all day, it was that brilliant. It definitely goes up there as one of my favourite books this year. After starting reading this book, I don’t know if this is a coincidence or not, but I have had some amazing and vivid dreams that I can remember in detail the next day.

Overall, brilliant read, would highly recommend it to any adults out there and possibly the more mature teen. There is certain content that would not be suitable for younger teens.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book for review by the author. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: