Thursday 4 November 2010

Review: Succubus On Top by Richelle Mead

My Rating: VG, B, X

Published: 2008
Publisher: Kensington Books

Author's Website: richellemead.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Love hurts, and no one knows it better than Georgina Kincaid. If she so much as kisses Seth Mortensen, the shy, sexy, incredibly gifted Seattle write she’s been dating, she’ll drain his life force. Georgina is a succubus – a demon who draws her power from other men’s pleasure. Admittedly, the shapeshifting and immortality perks are terrific, and yes, Georgina did choose to join he ranks of hell centuries ago. But it seems completely unfair that a she-demon whose purpose is seduction can’t get hot and heavy with the one mortal who knows and accepts her for who she is...

It’s not just her personal life that’s in chaos. Doug, Georgina’s co-worker at a local bookstores, has been exhibiting bizarre behaviour, and Georgina suspects that something far more demonic than double espressos is at work. She could use help finding out, but Bastien, an irresistibly charming incubus and her best immortal friends, is preoccupied with corrupting an ultra-conservative talk radio star – and giving Georgina some highly distracting come-hither vibes. Georgina is going to have to work solo on this one – and fast because soon, Doug’s life won’t be the only one on the line...


Succubus On Top is the second book in the Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead. If you are looking for adulterated sex scenes with plot twists that will tie your brains in knots then this is the book/series for you.

Georgina is becoming rather fickle in this book. She is head over heels in love with Seth but won’t admit it to herself or to him and she keeps questioning her feelings for jim throughout the book. Also, she really wants to get physical with Seth but can’t due to her contract with hell which will make her drain his life force if so much as plays tonsil tennis with the guy. So to try and overcome their physical problem, Georgina decides to take things to another level to try and share her with Seth by other means. What Georgina doesn’t realise is that taking this step will cause her a whole lot of trouble. Unfortunately foresight is not one of her many immortal traits.

Succubus On Top brings us deeper into Georgina’s demonic world. We begin to realise that the demonic system that Georgina lives in and works for is not the only one out there. Okay, that sounded a bit sci-fi there but it’s true. Other immortals are out there too and they don’t like playing by the rules and Georgina can’t but help but try to stop them.

Overall, I enjoyed this book and I have enjoyed the series so far. I always find Georgina’s attitude and interaction with other characters in the book, be it mortals or immortals, immensely entertaining. There was one plot twist I did kind of see coming, but I think it was more from a gut feeling than the clues left by Richelle Mead. I would recommend this book/series to anyone that isn’t opposed to some hot and steamy, sexual and non-sexual moments between characters and enjoy having a right good giggle.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I've been wondering about this series. I think I have some trouble with the succubus concept, but I love Richelle Mead so I think I need to get over it and give these a try. I enjoy both giggling and steamy scenes, so this series might just be fore me:) Great review!