Monday 19 July 2010

Review: The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

My Rating: VG, P

Published: 2009
Publisher: Bantam Press

Author's Website: danbrown.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

The capitol Building, Washington DC: Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon believes he is here to give a lecture. He is wrong. Within minutes of his arrival, a shocking object is discovered. It is a gruesome invitation into an ancient world of hidden wisdom.

When Langdon’s mentor, Peter Solomon – prominent mason and philanthropist – is kidnapped, Langdon realizes that his only hope of saving his friend’s life is to accept his mysterious summons.

It is to take him on a breathless chase through Washington’s dark history. All that was familiar is changed into a shadowy, mythical world in which Masonic secrets and never-before-seen revelations seem to be leading him to a single impossible and inconceivable truth...


The Lost Symbol is the latest instalment in the Robert Langdon books and once again Dan Brown has surpassed my expectations. The Lost Symbol is mysterious, adventurous and thrilling. Great recipe for a summer read.

I had heard of the Freemasons before in passing before reading this book but this story was great even with my limited knowledge of the Masonic Brotherhood. It’s one of those mysterious groups that you either do or don’t hear about. In my case I hardly heard or read anything about them unless it was part of a plot. The Freemasons are central and essential to this story though and Dan Brown takes you on a historical adventure.

Robert Langdon is duped into travelling to Washington DC to help a friend. What he finds in DC is nothing like what he imagined he would be doing. With the help of Katherine Solomon, he discovers that the Ancient Mysteries isn’t just a legend that is based on mythological stories. It’s based on fact as Robert soon finds out. Katherine is Peter Solomon’s, Robert’s mentor, sister and is a scientist in Noetics. The Solomon’s are longstanding family in the Freemasons and Peter is very high up within the Brotherhood.

My favourite part of this book was once I connected the dots between the villain and the quest he is on. I figured out who he was about half way through the book and I was so pleased that I figured it out. It just made me want to read the book even more and get to the end to see how it all turns out. I would definitely recommend this book to any Dan Brown fans out there or anyone wanting an interesting and thrilling summer read.

Disclaimer: I was sent this book to review from Transworld. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: