Friday 30 July 2010

Review: Covet by J.R. Ward

My Rating: O & B

Published: 2009
Publisher: Piatkus

Author's Website: jrward.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about – his speciality is revenge and, to him, all sin is relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charged with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option.

Vin Di Pietro long ago gave himself up to his business – until fate intervenes in the form of a tough-talking, Harley-riding, self-professed saviour, and a woman who makes him question his destiny. With an ancient evil ready to claim him, Vin has to work with a fallen angel not only to win his beloved over…but to redeem his very soul.


Covet is the first novel in J.R. Ward’s Fallen Angel series. It’s full of action, secrets and mystery.

Jim Heron is typically a loner. He doesn’t get close to many people as he is always on the move. He is joiner/carpenter by trade and is currently building a house for Vin Di Pietro, a very wealthy businessman. Adrian and Eddie, two very different characters, are his workmates and I suppose Jim would call them acquaintances. But this all changes after one dreadful night and Jim becomes inexplicably tied to these two and Vin Di Pietro.

I did enjoy this book, but it wasn’t until much later in the story that it really picked up for me. I had a hard time trying to get into the story at the beginning but I plodded on. About half way through the book is when everything heated up and everything started to take more focus and I was able to figure out exactly what was going on. Some parts of the book were a tad predictable but that just could be me.

My favourite characters of this book would be Adrian and Eddie. They are funny and wise. Some of the things they did were quite funny. There was another four characters that I thought were good, but I can’t tell you much about them as it would give too much away. My favourite part of the book was when one of the characters finally got their happy ending. I was so pleased for them.

Overall, I wasn’t especially impressed by this book and this disappointed me as I thoroughly enjoyed J.R. Ward’s other books from The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series. I would recommend this book but only to the right reader. If you like books that take a few chapters to get into and really get going then this is the book for you.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

3 comments:

Paula Calvanico said...

I felt like you did, it took a bit to get going but I trudged on through :), your cover rocks, the U.S. cover is kinda boring in comparison! I am looking forward to the next.

Paula
Tomes Devotee

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Great review and I'm sorry you didn't really enjoy reading this book!

I have this in my TBR pile!

Unknown said...

Hmmm, still not sure whether I should pick this up or give it a miss.