Tuesday 16 August 2011

Review: Shades of Gray by LM Pruitt

My Rating: E, E, E

Published: 2011
Publisher: Red Hot Publishing

Author's Website: lmpruitt.blogspot.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com Barnes and Noble

Jude Magdalyn Henries has what some--okay, many--would call an unconventional life. Orphaned at birth, raised by nuns, teenage runaway, fake tarot card reader--there is very little about Jude that’s normal. Jude plays hard, which means she has to work at least semi-hard, but when she accepts an invitation to do a private tarot reading, “unconventional” takes on a whole new meaning.

Almost nothing shocks Jude anymore, but when she finds out that she’s the last in a line of matriarchal leaders of a magical group, shock is definitely what she feels. The Covenant has been waiting for Jude to come into her birthright for the past twenty five years. And then there’s the war between vampire factions for control of the city of New Orleans. In the end, the fate of the city hinges on one last battle, ranging from roof top to Bourbon Street to the bottom of the Mississippi River.


Shades of Gray is the first installment in the Jude Magdalyn series by LM Pruitt. Words can’t describe how brilliant this book was. There was action, romance, a bit of smut and heartbreak: the makings of an awesome story.

Jude Magdalyn Henries is just your average girl trying to make a living in the streets of New Orleans, be it hustling or setting up a scam, it puts food on the table and pays the bills. But all that changes after a scam goes wrong and Jude is on the run when she stumbles head first into an ongoing war: a war that she is at the centre of. From this encounter, Jude goes on to learn more about her heritage and all the goodies that come with it.

I can’t rant and rave enough about this book. I absolutely loved it from the get go, the story is unlike anything I have read before. Yes it’s supernaturally based but the story itself and how it unfolds is different, it kept things interesting. I thought I knew what Jude would do next, but every time I thought I knew what Jude would do next, I was wrong. Jude is a very unpredictable, outspoken and kind character. Her attitude gets her into trouble most of the time but sometimes it’s useful. No story would be complete without a love interest or two and Jude has some choices. Albeit the choice Jude made threw me, but I loved that this character could keep me guessing about what is going to happen next. The love interests themselves are some fine specimens and I don’t think I have ever been this jealous of a fictional character in my life, but I am.

Overall, just brilliant!! I can’t wait for the next book in the series, Shades of Desire. I highly recommend this book to anyone, but maybe not of any age. I would say mid-teen and upwards. LM Pruitt, you rock for writing this book!

Disclaimer: I was sent this e-book as part of a tour via The Bookish Snob Promotions. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: