Tuesday 12 July 2011

Review: The Dark Rising by Lacey Weatherford

My Rating: E, E, E

Published: July 2011
Publisher: 4 Corners Press

Author's Website: LaceyWeatherfordBooks.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com and Smashwords.com

When Portia Mullins discovers the love of her life is still alive her heart soars. But reality sets in immediately causing it to plummet when she realizes he doesn’t remember his past life with her. Unwilling to give up, she embarks on a loving quest to restore his life to him.

Vance Mangum sees the beautiful girl claiming to be his wife, and while he can’t remember her, he can’t deny the intense pull he feels between them. Not knowing where else to turn, he agrees to give her the time she’s asked for and to assist her in the effort to recover his memories.

The two quickly reconnect, but dark surprises are lurking in the wings when Vance discovers a desperate longing for something he feels he can’t withstand. Will he be able to resist? Or will evil raise its head in a new form, leaving Portia as the prey of the very man her heart desires?

Darkness reigns supreme in this haunting tale of love and desperation, Of Witches and Warlocks, The Dark Rising.


The Dark Rising is the fourth installment in the Of Witches and Warlocks series by lacey Weatherford. This book oozes drama, action and some bad ass magic.

Portia has come a long way in her short time that she has discovered that she is a witch. She finds the love of her life, he is partially demon due to an incomplete transformation, got married to said love of her life and has been the recipient of a serious mojo power called the ‘The Awakening’. But none of that matters when your husband, bad-ass and gorgeous Vance Mangum, is killed.

I really felt for Portia in this book. She has been ripped apart by magic, the one thing that brought her and Vance together. It was so devastating. Then when things look like they are on the up-side for Portia, Lacey goes and ruins it all by flipping it to the dark side.

I had some serious issues with a certain character in this book most of the way through. One minute I was like, “aww, sweet”, and the next I was about ready to tear them to pieces. I think this book had a bit of bi-polar effect on me. I hated it but loved it at the same time. For the record, I don’t mean hate the book, I mean that the writing connects with me so much that I feel like I am Portia. I love reading books where I can get that caught up and lost in the character’s emotions and personal story that I feel like it’s happening to me. It means a book has actually touched me and it will always stay with me.

There was a new type of magic introduced in this book and I thought it was quite funky an innovative. I had never really thought of this type of magic being incorporated into this series but it works so well. So watch out for Hex. That’s all I am saying about that.

Overall, brilliant addition to the series and it has strengthened my love for the series (not that I was ever in doubt of it) but it has also made me slightly annoyed at the author as she well knows for that cliffhanger - Mrs Weatherford..you got some explaining to do! Hehe, just kidding, I am sure it will all unravel in the next book. Which might I add, I am giddy over and can’t wait to read.

Disclaimer: I bought this e-book via Smashwords.com. I have not been paid to review this book and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

3 comments:

Denise Z said...

This book sounds wonderful, I cannot wait until I reach this one in the series. Thank you for your review.

SusanKMann said...

I haven't read this one yet but I need to can't wait for my next Vance fix. x

Anonymous said...

Its well worth it Susan..this book is brilliant and the ending is killer! X

Denise - how far are you in the series? I can't wait for the next book..hurry up Lacey lol x