Sunday 4 September 2011

Review: Carry On The Flame: Destiny's Call by Jodine Turner

My Rating: G, P, B

Published: 2011
Publisher: TAG Publishing

Author's WEbsite: jodineturner.com

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com Barnes and Noble

Humanity is in the midst of the greatest crisis in their evolution. Sharay is the one chosen to show the way forward and help humankind move through the fear and dark times of today’s world. Born into a lineage of priestesses in modern day Glastonbury, England, Sharay’s way is blocked by her jealous Aunt Phoebe, who uses black magic against her to steal her fortune and magical power. When Phoebe commits Sharay to a psychiatric ward and accuses her of murder, Sharay struggles with the temptation to fight Phoebe’s vengeance with her own. Through the ancient Celtic ceremony of Beltaine, Sharay experiences profound sacred union with the Welshman Guethyn, who shows her how to open her heart. But Sharay must learn to transform her hatred for her aunt in order to claim the mystery held deep within her cells that will allow her to fulfill her destiny and prove that the ultimate magic is the power of love.

Carry On The Flame: Destiny’s Call is the first book in the ‘Goddess of the Stars and the Sea’ series by Jodine Turner. Fast paced journey of self discovery with a side order of romance to boot.

Sharay is one of the most strongest heroines I have come across in a while. Not only does she bounce back from her drug induced existence for the past six months but she steps up to the challenge to help her sistren and brethren against the forces of evil (and Aunt Phoebe).

Guethyn is a sweetheart. He is a very reluctant participant in his uncle’s magical journey but soon his calling is awakened in him and he steps up to his part in Shary’s destiny. Dillon (Guethyn’s uncle) is brilliant. I love his witty repertoire and interaction with Rosheen. He is a very strong character and faces any challenge head on.

I enjoyed reading this book because of the different use of magic and history behind it. I am not a religious person at all but I like that fact that authors are intertwining religion in with their stories as long as it’s not over the top. There were a few moments where I didn’t understand what was going on at all and I think that was because it was such an implosion of information to me and I just don’t think I could get my head around it. I’m not sure it’s a series that I would continue reading but I would certainly recommend it to the right reader.

Disclaimer: I was sent this e-book as part of a book tour via The Bookish Snob Promotions. I have not been paid for this review and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion.

No comments: