Tuesday 12 October 2010

Review: The Killing Dance by Laurell K Hamilton

My Rating: E, P, B

Published: 1997
Publisher: Orbit

Author's Website: laurellkhamilton.org

Purchase @ Amazon.co.uk Amazon.com

The first hit man came after me at home, which should be against the rules. Then there was a second, and a third. Word on the street is that Anita Blake, expert on creatures of the night and vampire killer extraordinaire, is worth half a million dollars. Dead, not alive.

So what’s a girl to do but turn to the men in her life for help? Which in my case means an alpha werewolf and a master vampire. With professional killers on your trail, it’s not a bad idea to have as much protection as possible, human or otherwise.

But I’m beginning to wonder if two monsters are better than one.


The Killing Dance is the sixth book in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Series by Laurell K Hamilton. This is my favourite book in the series so far.

Anita has a lot on her plate in The Killing Dance. Not only is there someone paying assassins to kill her, she is being accused of murder and she is having a real hard time deciding between the two gorgeous monsters in her life, Jean Claude the Master Vampire of the City and Richard the werewolf alpha.

The threat to Anita’s life causes her to become closer to both Jean Claude and Richard, a lot closer than she anticipated. We finally see Anita commit more to one of her boyfriend’s than the other and all I can say is, it was hot, I’m sure I was blushing reading it. By committing herself to one of her monsters it has meant that she has lost her relationship with the other, which wasn’t what she wanted. With the mention of assassins, Edward makes a reappearance and it was nice. I thought he had gotten lost for a while there because he wasn’t in the last couple of books. He was very involved with Anita’s life – but on which side I can’t tell you. Anita also discovers a new side to her necromancy powers and it proves to be quite impressive.

My favourite part of the book was the part where Anita was getting up close and personal with one of her suitors. I think it was the most pivotal scene in the book because it’s where Anita finally makes her choice between her two suits. I am sure that this will mean something greater in the coming books, but what that is I don’t know. I personally think that Anita made the right choice as this person knows her so well and vice versa.

Everything else that happens in the book is well written and the motives behind each character’s decisions and actions all make sense when you get near to the end of the story. It annoys me when authors leave books with outrageous cliff hangers and you have to wait until the next book to find out what happens. Luckily Laurell K Hamilton doesn’t do this and wraps everything up nicely and neatly but still leaving a little mystery to make you want to read more. I am amazed at the complexity of the storylines as they always keep me guessing who the ‘bad’ guy is and I can never figure it out. It’s one of the reasons that I love the series so much.

Out of all the books in the series, this is my utmost favourite and would recommend it to lovers of the supernatural genre.

Disclaimer: I do not own this book, I borrowed it from my local library. I have not been paid to review this book, everything I have said has been of my own honest opinion.

No comments: